Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Rat Tail India Pale Ale

This was the first batch of homebrew to hit the house, and boy did it start an addiction. A "Scotty's Kit" extract recipe for an India Pale Ale. I had help, with co-brewer Chris to lend a hand.Thanks for the siphon technique chris! However, it wasnt all smooth sailing as can be expected from the first batch. Although mildy-academic approaches were used in researching this hobby before jumping right in, I failed to accomadate the poor yeasts in their sugar crazed hunger to expand in the carboy.

Luckily I had brewed on saturday, and was still there to clean up the mess sunday morning. However those few hours that the beer was exposed to the air (because the bung eventually blew out the top) the IPA had a noticeable off flavor. I have since brewed two other IPA's and will have a range for which I can judge this first batch. For a first go around, however, I was very pleased with results as it was both appropriately bitter and amber in color. And it was very drinkable!

1 comment: