Friday, September 3, 2010

Munich Dark Lager

This brew (my second) was a kit beer in the most general sense: it was wort in a bag...All you had to do was pour the bladder into the primary, top with water to make 5 gallons and make the yeast starter and pitch. I tried a Munich dark lager because I knew that I didnt have the capability to lager anything more advanced without ample fridge space, and I also wanted to make sure I had something drinkable to show for my efforts in case the Rat's Tail didnt turn out (luckily they both did).

I do recommend this brand of beer-in-a-bag as it was very tasty and has gotten very good reviews from those i have passed it on to. If this type of homebrew is anything, its a lesson in cold side homebrewing. Fermenting in the primary, racking to the secondary, fermenting longer, then mixing the dextrose and bottling. Its easy enough to not come out completely disappointed, but at the same time it requires a chemical "activation" by adding a potassium bicarbonate pack to the wort prior to yeast pitching. This is not any more toxic than baking soda but the goal for me is to be as sustainable and basically pure in ingredients as possible. I recommend the kit as an example of what can be made in the home brewery.

No comments:

Post a Comment